Here at Santander Asset Management, we’re a global asset manager operating in 11 countries, with strong local roots in Europe and Latin America. We invest over €180 billion on behalf of our customers across a wide range of investments, so there’s plenty to get involved in. We’re also part of one of the largest banking groups in the world with over 200,000 employees and 133 million customers.
We’re also pleased to have received a few awards over the years that we’re really proud of. In 2017, we were awarded ‘Best Investment Management Company’ in the UK by World Finance, and we’ve been awarded the Gold Standard Award for Institutional Fund Management on 9 occasions since 2009. Our central London office is just a short walk from Regent’s Park, and has views across the London skyline and our Glasgow office sits in Santander’s iconic building in St Vincent Street, a central location situated in Glasgow’s Financial Services District.
Why join us?
If you’re looking to join a company that has a strong brand recognition and global presence, then this 12 month training programme could be for you. What’s more, coaching and development is important to us at Santander Asset Management, so it’ll be a great place to start your career and grow professionally. We’re open and approachable so the perfect environment for you to get up to speed. You’ll be able to learn a broad range of skills and work with colleagues in a wide variety of departments who want to give you all the support across our company. The training programme will offer you a brilliant opportunity to gain experience in asset management to help you secure a permanent role after finishing the programme, either at Santander Asset Management, or elsewhere.
What we are looking for
Our Investment20/20 programme is designed for candidates with a can-do attitude. We’re looking for someone who is a keen learner, with a willingness to pitch in and be part of the team. Key skills we’re looking for are good analytical stills, strong communication capabilities, the ability to work on your own (we’ll provide you with all the support you need of course), and a keen attention to detail. We’re also keen to support further training and development for you.
We’re passionate about helping people and businesses prosper and we strive to be simple, personal and fair in everything we do (that’s our motto), so it’s a really great culture. Our culture is based on respect, where everyone is empowered to keep their promises and go above-and-beyond for our customers, colleagues and communities. If you’re ready to start your career join us in helping people and businesses prosper, there isn’t a better place to start!
An introduction to the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen in our Risk & Compliance team for a trainee analyst role reporting into another member of the team. You will join as a trainee on a one-year contract as part of the Investment20/20 programme. You’ll be based in our office in the heart of Glasgow/London city center (though this may initially be from home or a hybrid model) and play an integral part in supporting the Risk & Compliance Function in the delivery of our core service across a number of areas, with specific focus on investment Risk & Compliance, monitoring tasks, reporting and roll out of training.
The Risk & Compliance team are responsible for guiding SAM UK business units through applicable regulation, laws, rules of conduct, in-house policies and established industry practices and providing independent assurance to the Board and its supporting committees on the management of risks (including regulatory risks) that are owned by SAM UK business units.
You will be involved in a variety of tasks, enabling you to develop a deep knowledge of the UK regulatory environment in which we operate, the role that a Risk & Compliance Function plays in supporting a business meet its regulatory obligations and deliver against intended customer outcomes and the wider asset management industry (including operational risk event management, key risk indicator coordination and reporting, oversight of Risk & Compliance with investment rules, limits, and constraints via the market leading Aladdin system). You will also benefit from participating in a team where you can make your own contribution and can discuss and share your own views and ideas.
What you’ll be doing
- Assisting with periodic Risk & Compliance monitoring and testing tasks.
- Reviewing and monitoring Aladdin Risk & Compliance alerts, investigating incidents and reporting breaches to internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintaining Risk & Compliance templates, working papers and calendars to support the smooth day to day management of tasks and activities.
- Updating internal policies and procedures.
- Assisting with reviewing and recording outside business interests and staff dealing requests.
- Assisting with Risk & Compliance queries and responding to regulatory requests.
- Co-ordinating training sessions to the business.
- Helping to ensure Risk & Compliance registers and logs are kept up to date.
- Assisting staff with queries about policies, forms, or Risk & Compliance documents.
- Assisting with Risk & Compliance management information collation across the group.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications / Accreditations
- Positive attitude with a passion to learn
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence to interact with all levels of seniority – Ability to take the initiative on assigned tasks
- Attention to detail
- Good team player
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills with the ability to prioritise and work under some pressure to meet deadlines
- Discretion and respect for confidentiality
- The ability to work on your own (of course we’ll provide you with all the support you need), and drive your work independently
- Strong excel and presentation skills are essential to this role.
- A willingness to speak up and question where required. We want someone who will move our operating model forward, not just content to keep the status quo.
- Good professional skills on PowerPoint,
- Data capability/system coding experience or keen interest to learn
- Fluent in written and/or oral Spanish seen as an advantage