Who we’re looking for
If you’ve just finished school or college, and gained A-levels or BTECs, and you’re not sure that university is for you, then our two year Apprenticeship Programme provides you with a chance to take the first step in your career and earn while you learn.
Although you may have never heard of Schroders before visiting our website, this trainee programme could be for you because key to the purpose of the programme is to teach you about what, why and how we do what we do.
On this programme, you’ll be part of our Risk & Compliance Team within the Infrastructure part of our business.
As an apprentice, you will receive ongoing training designed to develop throughout the year, where you will have the chance to improve your skills as well as your technical knowledge. This is a Level 3 apprenticeship on the Compliance and Risk Officer programme, which is a professional industry qualification. You will be paid competitively above the London living wage.
Schroders is a global investment manager which helps institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
Our purpose is to provide excellent investment performance to our clients through active management. By serving clients, we serve wider society. Channelling capital into sustainable and durable businesses accelerates positive change in the world. Funding the future is a privilege: we use it wisely and responsibly.
We employ over 5700 talented people worldwide operating in 37 different locations across Europe, the Americas, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, close to the markets in which we invest and close to our clients.
Schroders has developed under stable ownership for over 200 years and long-term thinking governs our approach to investing, building client relationships and growing our business.
You will join as part of the Investment20/20 programme, you will have opportunities to meet and network with others across the industry and participate in training, socials and insight events.
The Team – Group Risk
We provide oversight to the management of all risk types across the Schroders Group. As a global asset manager there is significant focus on the investment risk in client portfolios driven from changes in market risk, credit risks, foreign exchange, interest rates, geopolitical and economic uncertainty. We have a strong focus on managing the operational risks that arise from managing such a large amount of client assets and the Group Risk team reduces potential financial, regulatory and reputational impacts by creating frameworks, developing policies and working with the business areas to deploy these frameworks and provide challenge and oversight to how the businesses are managing these risks.
What you’ll do
Some of the day to day tasks may include:
- Reviewing business areas’ risk information, including operational risk events and Risk and Control Assessments;
- Analysing risk data captured in the Archer operational risk system;
- Preparation of risk management reporting for senior committees and forums across credit, market, investment and operational risk;
- Producing/reviewing risk metrics to ensure we are operating within risk appetite;
- Analysing data provided by business areas and systems including the Investment platform Aladdin, to confirm it is accurate and appropriate for using in our risk reporting; and,
- Supporting various risk projects in response to changing regulatory requirements and in response to new business needs.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
- You must be 18 years old by the 2nd of September to apply for the 2024 intake
- You must have gained A-levels (or equivalent) in any subjects – no minimum UCAS point required
- You must not be enrolled on another funded apprenticeship or another funded further education or higher education programme at the time you start your new apprenticeship
- Not expect funding for a repeated qualification
- Those undertaking a level 3 or higher apprenticeship must achieve a level 2 in both English and maths (i.e. a GSCE grade A* to C (or 9 to 4)) or equivalent
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
- Innovative and methodical – you’re able to think outside the box and bring a fresh perspective
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, or the desire to learn to use them effectively
- Willing to get involved in a variety of tasks and projects and work with a diverse team of talented, professional and friendly people
- Passionate about financial markets and understanding global trends and changing regulations
What you’ll be like
- You’ll be an ambitious and enthusiastic self-starter who is eager to learn more about our industry and our business
- A team player with a pro-active approach to getting things done, you’ll love a challenge and are keen to work in an exciting, fast paced environment.
Ultimately, we can teach what you need to know about the job we just need you to bring your drive, passion and enthusiasm to make the most of the opportunity to start building your career.