This entry level degree apprenticeship is an outstanding starting point for a career in Portfolio Management. You will work primarily with the Portfolio Management team of either the US, Model Portfolio Service (MPS), or Central Investment (CIT) Teams, but will gain experience of the wider business – both LGT Wealth Management and LGT Wealth Management US – through direct interaction with the teams. Your role will evolve and develop as the business does and you will be provided with opportunities to build and develop your long-term career at LGT.
You will be part of one of our Portfolio Management teams, which are responsible for the investment of all assets managed on behalf of clients of LGT. We are also responsible for communicating our investment activity and outlook to other members of the business and clients and/or their advisors.
This is an opportunity to learn about financial markets, different asset classes, investment products and how to construct diversified portfolios for private clients. You will initially be expected to provide general and administrative support to a high stand in the various teams that you work with. In time, you will be given more complex work and remit of responsibilities in line with your progression in your role.
As an LGT Degree Apprentice, you will be expected to undertake a BSc Applied Finance degree which incorporates the Investment Management Certificate (IMC) and CFA Level 1 qualifications, and progress to an Trainee Portfolio Manager within a four year timeframe subject to your completion of your degree apprenticeship and progression within your role.
For the first year of your apprenticeship, you will be part of the Investment20/20 programme, you will have opportunities to meet and network with trainees across the industry and participate in additional training, socials and insight events.
Central Investment Team (CIT)
Central Investment Team is responsible for managing discretionary client portfolios on a bespoke basis. We are involved in a broad range of activities including portfolio management, investment analysis and relationship management. Each team prides itself on the quality of service it provides the High Net Worth community ensuring that they have adopted a robust investment process to best manage the investment interests of their clients. We have developed long standing relationships with our clients and are seen by many as trusted advisors to them and their families.
The Central Investment Team provides a bespoke discretionary service in line with LGT Vestra’s house views for Investment Managers and Wealth Managers. The team is responsible for managing portfolios on a day-to-day basis and assisting in the acquisition of new business. The team is fully integrated into the central research process and contribute to the various committees.
Model Portfolio Service (MPS) Team
LGT Wealth Management’s Model Portfolio Team manages a number of different mandates and portfolios for financial adviser firms. The team has grown in size and scope over the past 10+ years and is now responsible for managing c.£7bn in assets. The team has strong relationships with a group of strategic partner IFA firms.
LGT Wealth Management US is a wholly owned subsidiary of LGT Wealth Management that is registered with both the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and Security and Exchange Commission (SEC). LGT Wealth Management US was established in recognition of the specialist services required for US connected clients and the team has an in-depth knowledge of working within the appropriate tax and legal framework. LGT Wealth Management US provides discretionary and advisory investment services to US citizens. The LGT Wealth Management US team are involved in a broad range of activities including Investments, Planning/Structuring and Relationship Management always ensuring that the output is suitable for clients with a US connection. We have developed long standing relationships with our clients and are seen by many as trusted advisors to them and their families.
Full training will be given
- Learn how we explore, research and create investment portfolios for clients to deliver returns over the long term.
- Learn how we adapt to developments in the market and regulatory change.
- Shadow meetings and team training events.
- Assist with the provision of analytics for the team including performance, asset allocation reports and risk reports.
- Learn how to produce various external facing documents including factsheets, investment proposals, ad-hoc reports and presentations for existing and prospective clients.
- Answer inbound queries from our stakeholders. Initially this will be from other members of LGT, but this will expand to external stakeholders (clients and intermediaries) over time. Ensure information provided is accurate, consistent and up to date.
- Provide administrative support to the Portfolio Management team.
- Ensure the administrative and organisational tasks of the team are completed accurately, efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Internal LGT colleagues
- External Custodians
We are keen to receive applications from all backgrounds. If you are an enthusiastic individual with a desire to embark on a career in Portfolio Management within the Financial Services sector and have the following attributes, we would like to hear from you.
- Although the course requires candidates to hold or have predicted (August 2022 results pending) A-level grades of 3 B’s or equivalent BTEC, we appreciate the need to be flexible given the on-going pandemic and disruption to your school/ college life. If you’ve achieved a little under the course entry requirements, we would still encourage you to apply.
- You have strong numerical literacy and enjoy working with large amounts of data
- You are a good communicator – both verbal and written, and enjoy working within a team environment.
- You have demonstratable experience of being able to manage and prioritise workloads/studying with a keen eye for detail
- You enjoy solving problems and using your initiative when completing work
You have a good level of computer skills including good knowledge of using Microsoft Excel and Word.
You do not need to have previous experience or a working knowledge of Wealth Management to apply – we can teach you what you need to know about the industry in order to contribute to your success in the role.