Schroders is a global investment manager. We help organisations and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
Operations is a busy and dynamic area, with lots of exciting opportunities to build and develop your career. The Operations Team supports our global business by providing high quality and efficient operational oversight, processing and reporting across all of our business channels. Operations covers a broad spectrum of responsibilities from ensuring confirmation and settlement of trade activity, daily oversight of the funds Net Asset Value (NAV) to ensuring that we meet all of our Client, Fund and regulatory reporting obligations.
Who we’re looking for
At Schroders, we actively seek people who are keen to learn, innovative individuals from diverse backgrounds, who can bring a fresh approach to our business. If you’ve just finished school, college, university or looking for a different opportunity in the early stage of your career then our Operations Academy Programme provides you with a chance to take the first step in your career in Finance.
On this programme, you’ll be part of our busy global Operations teams within the Infrastructure part of our business. We need people who are adaptable, creative and curious enough to take on a challenge, rather than tick off set tasks on a to-do list.
It means you’ll get the chance to work with different areas of the business, see the big picture, and see your role evolve as the business does. You’ll be provided with an opportunity to build your foundation in the investment management industry for ongoing use in your financial career with Schroders.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we’ve been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn’t change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We’re committed to investing sustainably and integrate Environment, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) into our decision-making across all investments whilst maintaining long term performance for our clients. We can back this up with our impact measurement tool which combines measures of harm and good effect of companies to provide the overall social and environmental impact.
You will join as a permanent employee and start your career in the Operations Academy before moving in to a dedicated team. Over the three year programme you’ll be rotated across a number of areas to give you a fantastic introduction in operations and asset management. You will also have opportunities to network and meet with the wider business.
We want you to be innovative and creative in your approach in understanding what we do and how we do it. We will provide training throughout the three year programme which will cover: aspects of the asset management industry via accredited learning to gain the Level 3 – Investment Operations Certificate; functional knowledge through a regular rotation into different teams; application training as part of the on the job experience; and non-functional training, such as organisation skills and written/verbal communication effectiveness, to help broaden your overall skill set. You’ll learn from experts in the field as they guide you through the various applications which you will then be expected to implement in your day to day role to improve efficiency and minimise potential risks.
You will join as an Operations trainee as part of the Investment20/20 programme, which means you’ll have opportunities to meet and network with other trainees across the industry and participate in training, socials and insight events.
You’ll be based at our Broadlands Business Campus near Horsham in West Sussex. That’s our operations hub – home to our transaction operations, client servicing, product reporting and operational oversight for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
It will have same high standards and international reputation as our HQ in the City of London, without being in the city: its a big, countryside campus (and no commute on the Tube) means life will feel a little different.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
- We’re open to applications from all backgrounds, we’re prioritising a creative mindset and desire to succeed in the financial industry.
- We’re interested in candidates who are innovative, with an inquisitive nature particularly if you are a graduate, school leaver or looking to return to work after a career break.
- You must be at least 18 years old by 29 November to apply for this intake, however please note, there will be a second intake to the Operations Academy programme in 2022
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
- Any experience which demonstrates good communication and analytical skills, and working well within a team environment.
- Experience of prioritising workload, demonstrating a keen eye for detail, problem solving and confidence in communicating when you need support with issues.
Ultimately, we can teach what you need to know about the job we just need you to bring your drive, passion and enthusiasm to make the most of the opportunity to start building your career.
What you’ll be like
- We take pride in hiring the right people for our programs, who can hit the ground running and want to make a difference.
- We look for people who are naturally curious about the world around them and who are eager to learn more about our industry and what we do.
- Enthusiastic with an innovative mindset, we want someone who isn’t afraid to bring new ideas to the table.
- You’ll be flexible and think proactively – how we work in this new hub will evolve, so you’ll need to adapt and be an advocate for change.
- A team player with strong communication and collaboration skills are essential as you will work as part of a team to overcome challenges and share ideas.
- A growth mindset: we understand you may make mistakes, and when you do, we are looking for you to learn from these.
- We want you to contribute to our continuously evolving culture, whether it’s participating in our socials, clubs and campaigns or starting your own.
What we can offer you
- Support from day one in studying towards accredited and professional industry qualifications.
- Free on site gym – with access to personal training and classes such as boxing, yoga and HIIT.
- Comprehensive benefits package.