Who we’re looking for
Schroders’ Apprenticeship programme is your chance to gain a year of hands-on, paid work experience. If you’ve just finished your A-levels or your BTECs then this programme provides you with a chance to explore the world of work.
Although you may have never heard of Schroders before visiting our website, this trainee programme could be for you because key to the purpose of the programme is to teach you about what, why and how we do what we do.
As an Apprentice, you will receive ongoing training designed to develop throughout the programme, where you will have the chance to improve your skills as well as your technical knowledge. We support you in completing a professional industry qualification and you’ll be paid competitively above the London living wage. This is a Level 4 apprenticeship on the Investment Operations Specialist programme.
We’re a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we’ve been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn’t change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
You will join as an Apprentice as part of the Investment20/20 programme, you will have opportunities to meet and network with Trainees/Apprentices across the industry and participate in training, socials and insight events.
The apprentice will join the Implementation Team. The function of the team is to manage the implementation of investment models. They work closely with the Fund Managers aiding in the design of the investment process.
The team also oversees cash management, implements hedge strategies and the instruction of corporate actions. Your main stakeholder is the Investment team.
The Investment Implementation apprentice role is vital to the Investment process helping implement Fund Manager decisions, managing cash and providing Investment desk support. The role will also provide a vital link between Operations, Client Service teams and the Fund Manager. You will also work together with the Trading team on the implementation of trades and liquidity management, instructing contingent trades.
Activities you could be involved in
- Work closely with the Fund Managers & Implementation Manager to size and raise FX (Foreign Exchange) and Equity orders
- Learn about our Restriction Monitoring processes and how they ensure all orders conform to client mandates and our in-house roles.
- Monitor portfolios for corporate actions, fund distributions and asset expiry.
- Maintain and monitor daily cash balances ensuring accounts do not go overdrawn
- Monitoring trade lifecycles ensuring they are settled correctly
- Learn to manage Portfolio models and resolve pricing and accounting issues
- Liaise with a number of in-house departments and third parties with respect to monitoring trades and general maintenance of client portfolios
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
- You must be 18 years old by 2 September to apply for the 2024 intake
- You must have gained A-levels (or equivalent) in any subjects – no minimum UCAS point required
- You must not be enrolled on another funded apprenticeship or another funded further education or higher education programme at the time you start your new apprenticeship
- Not expect funding for a repeated qualification
- Those undertaking a level 3 or higher apprenticeship must achieve a level 2 in both English and maths (i.e. a GSCE grade A* to C (or 9 to 4)) or equivalent
Ultimately, we can teach what you need to know about the job we just need you to bring your drive, passion and enthusiasm to make the most of the opportunity to start building your career.
What you’ll be like
- You’ll be an enthusiastic self-starter who is eager to learn more about our industry and our business
- Keen interest in financial markets and instruments
- A team player with a pro-active, flexible approach to getting things done, you’ll love to learn new skills, get involved in variety of tasks and projects and are keen to work in an exciting, fast paced environment
- Ability to prioritise effectively and multi task
- Strong in both written and verbal English communication skills
- Ability to build strong relationships across teams or departments
- A critical thinker who’s able to look at things from different angles and enjoys solving problems